March 31, 2022: Ukraine assault, Putin, Russia draft, Hunter Biden, Oil, Sri Lanka
March 31, 2022: Ukraine expects Russian assault in east, Russia drafts 134,500 conscripts, Hunter Biden, Oil reserve, Sri Lanka
1. Ukrainian forces are preparing for new Russian attacks in the southeast region where Moscow’s guns are now trained after its assault on the capital Kyiv was repelled, President Volodymyr Zelenskiy said.
2. President Vladimir Putin signed a decree ordering 134,500 new conscripts into the army as part of Russia’s annual spring draft, but the defence ministry said the call-up had nothing to do with the war in Ukraine.
3. The White House criticized Donald Trump’s request for Russian President Vladimir Putin to release potentially damaging information on U.S. President Joe Biden’s son, calling the move particularly poorly timed as war rages in Ukraine.
4. The Biden administration is considering releasing up to 180 million barrels of oil over several months from the Strategic Petroleum Reserve (SPR), four U.S. sources said, as the White House tries to lower fuel prices.
5. Sri Lanka is turning off street lights to save electricity, a minister said on Thursday, as its worst economic crisis in decades brought more power cuts and halted trading on its main stock market.
Reuters brings you the latest business, finance and breaking news video from around the globe. Our reputation for accuracy and impartiality is unparalleled.
Get the latest news on: http://reuters.com/
Follow Reuters on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Reuters
Follow Reuters on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Reuters
Follow Reuters on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/reuters/?hl=en